A mercenary hireable from A.I.M.
"The flexible doctor Clifford Highball has honed his shooting skills with a needle and rifle and is a devout member of A.I.M. for the past six years. Though more versatile than most doctors, he still maintains the medical hard-line about fees for service." - Jagged Alliance
"Cliff's health has improved considerably since he gave up alcohol and put himself on a high-fibre diet. This is great news for potential employers since it's next to impossible to find doctors with Highballs efficient combination of marksmanship and medicine.
Additional info: We are told Highball has also turned his explosives hobby into a marketable skill." - Jagged Alliance 2
- Cliff has a South African accent. As such, Blood has a bad relationship with him due to Apartheid South Africa's tensions. Although that is one sided.
- Has a wife, who continually prepares long lists of things to do once he returns from the assignment - a fact he harps on consistently.
- An avid golf player, a trait he shares with his good friend and game partner Dr. Eli Summers.
Is Liked by
Is Disliked by
Jagged Alliance and Deadly Games
- "Your timing is bad. I just got back from an assignment... My wife gave me a list of stuff to do... Could bloody well take me a week to get through!" - initial refusal to hire
- "I wonder what the wife is up to? Making one of her bloody job lists, no doubt!" - After several turns without action
- "I'll join you! You can use me however you want... I can heal or hurt, or do a bit of both. It's your call... I'm happy either way!" - on hire
- "And might I also add that I am fully combat certified." - on call
- "I bet Summers mentioned his hole-in-one, and that I'd confirm it. Well...It's true, but if he keeps telling everyone, I'm going to start denying it." - On call
- "Take a look at this!" - Spotted an item
- "I spotted an easy mark." - Spotted unaware enemy
- "I've encountered an enemy" - Spotted aware enemy
- "I've encountered hostiles!" - Spotted multiple enemies
- "Bloody lucky" - Near miss
- "Good-for-nothing!" - Remark on enemy killed
- "That crew no longer stands in our way" - All enemies killed
- "The mission is unfolding as planned. Returning to the base with it intact is all that remains." - Holding mission objective
- "As planned the mission is an overwhelming success!" - Mission completed
- "A good effort all around!" - Withdrawing from a mission
- "YOU have to get yourself a penpal!" - When a male uses the hand icon on him
- "Ya, it starts out like this... Next thing you know, you'll be handing me a job list!" - When a female uses the hand icon on him
- "A demanding shot to say the least!" - Requested impossible shot
- "I don't like this... I'll do it, but how do I know I won't be next?" - Ordered to shoot friendly merc
- "I said..." - Asked to repeat
- "Raffi Leevon is a fake... a quack! I can't practice medicine alongside him! Unload him, and I'll stick around! Otherwise, I'm gone!" - After spending a day with Raffi
- "Raffi is a quack! Some sort of a bush butcher! I but you never even asked to see his qualifications! Unload him... And you can have me!" - Hiring attempt while Raffi is hired
- "I'd be thrilled to sacrifice that wiry fraud, Raffito! I'm sure the Jamaicans and Scots will also pleased" - Ordered to shoot Raffi
- "I won't be joining! Learn to keep your team members happy, employed an together." - Hiring attempt while turnover is too high
- "I can get plenty of other jobs, I'm a doctor with a gun! There will always be plenty of illness and anger!" - Fired before he has taken part in enough missions
- "I'm leaving! I've had enough of this part-time employment scheme of yours. Changing your team all the time is no way to fight a war!" - Quitting because turnover rate too high
- "I'll join! I always look forward to practising medicine with Doctor Summers." - Only hired because Eli is hired
- "Your timing is ironic. I was just speaking with Doctor Summers. He was not impressed with the outcome of his employment. I won't be joining." - Hiring attempt after firing Eli
- "Doctor Summers is irate. Hiring someone just to fire them is taken as a personal affront around here. I'm siding with my golf buddy and leaving!" - Quitting because you fired Eli unfairly
- "I realize as a mercenary I am compelled to do this, but wasting a friend like Doctor Summers is totally against my principles" - Ordered to shoot Eli
- "You never should have gotten rid of me in the first place!" - Hiring attempt after firing unfairly
- "I have the hands of a surgeon, the eye of novice marksman and the guts of a warrior... And you have one more crack at offering something reasonable!" - Bribe attempt
- "We appear to be unable to reach an agreement." - Failed bribe
- "And my decision, this time, is absolutely, irrevocably, final." - Hiring attempt after failed bribe
- "It was a misunderstanding. There is no need to dwell upon it." - Successful bribe
Jagged Alliance 2
- "Thank you for calling doctor Clifford Highball. I cannot speak to you at this time. Leave your first name and message, and I will return your call at a more opportune moment." - answering machine
- "No, you jackanapes! If I was suicidal, I'd just bloody well hang myself." - refuse to join
- A mercenary renaissance man, who's a comparatively high cost to others of his level buys versatility, flexibility and reliability.
- One of the few mercs in v1.13 to hold the "Malicious" trait, granting bonuses to dealing stat damage and painful body-part-related injuries, with unusual implications.